Today is my favorite event of the season only second to the NHL Awards. It’s the night where your favorite players get dressed in their finest threads, get trotted around like show ponies, then get picked to play on one of two prestigious teams school-yard style. Since last year’s complete makeover of the All Star teams, your bets for each team’s roster are as good as mine.
Captains Daniel Alfredsson (with his Alternate capt. Henrik Lundqvist) and Zdeno Chara (with his Alternate capt. Joffrey Lupul) will pick and choose the “top players in the league” one-by-one until the last guy is standing. Last year’s final fella was Phil Kessel, the guy who this season is six goals shy of leading the league. What did he receive for his troubles? Just a car. So ya see, being last picked may be slightly shameful, but it comes with big rewards.
I may be spitting into the wind by making the following bold statements, but hey, maybe they will come with big rewards. So here are my predictions of what you will and will NOT see at the 2012 NHL All Star Draft:
- The Sedin twins will be separated. Last year’s biggest joke was that they would be split and truth be told, they were. Look to see one donning blue and one donning white tomorrow.
- Scott Hartnell will go in the first 5 or last 5. Just because he’s bffs with Lups doesn’t mean he will be guaranteed a spot with Team Chara. His goal scoring prowess is only overshadowed by his goofy personality. If he’s picked in the top 5, it’s because of his personality. If he’s picked in the bottom 5, it’s because the teams picked based on ability. I also predict he will end up on Giroux’s team if Claude is picked first.
- Geno. Goes. First. He’s smoking his competitors and there’s no reason the leagues leading point earner won’t be the top (at worst, 2nd) pick.
- Phil Kessel will not be picked last. Between the season he’s having and the fact that his buddy and linemate Lups is wearing an A on his sweater, Phil ain’t gettin the car this year.
- Team Alfredsson will pick 3, if not more, Senators. It’s common knowledge you pick your teammates and seeing as most of the Senators who are in the All Star Game were put their by fans, I truly believe Team Chara will pass on all except possibly Erik Karlsson.
- That being said, Tim Thomas will be on Team Chara. Seguin as well. Award winning teams who play together, stay together (unless it involves the White House).
No matter what happens, the night will be entertaining so sit back, relax, and enjoy the suits.